Ladies and gents, we've found it: the perfect winter roasted tomato soup recipe. Seriously, this stuff is the real deal, and is practically MADE for grilled cheese sandwiches. Fresh tomatoes and roasted garlic throw a party in your mouth with fresh mozarella, basil, and onion and thyme. Don't wait: this is the perfect Sunday night dinner.
OVEN ROASTED TOMATO SOUP WITH MOZZARELLA
Ingredients (serves 4, makes roughly one liter of soup):
2 lbs ripe tomatoes
1 big white onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 cups vegetable broth
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 ball mozzarella
Some olive oil
1) Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 400.
2) Wash tomatoes and cut into eight pieces. Place them skin down on the baking sheet. Peel onions, cut in pieces and put on baking sheet. Skin garlic cloves, halve and distribute on the tomatoes. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Put the baking sheet in the middle of the oven and roast the vegetables at 200 ºC for 35-40 minutes.
3) Transfer roasted vegetables together with the roasting juices into a pot and add vegetable broth. Add thyme twigs and bay leave. Bring to boil and simmer for roughly 20 minutes.
4) While the soup simmers, cut the mozzarella into thin pieces.
5) Remove bay leave and thyme twigs from the soup. Puree soup. Add seasoning if necessary.
6) Immediately serve the soup and add mozzarella pieces. Alternatively heat the soup once again, add mozzarella and stir until mozzarella is melted.
7) Serve & enjoy.