Buying new furniture for a big move or home refresh is super exciting–but it can make for a big headache if you don’t measure your space for furniture delivery first (have you ever asked yourself how to tell if furniture will fit up stairs?). Although it may seem like a no-brainer, measuring a space before buying furniture is frequently overlooked and one of the biggest mistakes we see people make.
Not only must you measure to ensure the large piece of furniture you bought will fit in your room, but you must also account for small doorways, narrow halls and curvy stairwells that can all pose a problem when it comes to delivery (and goes double if you’re working with a moving company or furniture delivery service, or if you need to move furniture from a small space to a large one or vice versa).
In many cases, just an inch of space can make all of the difference and save you time when moving furniture. Avoid the headache, and learn how to measure your space quickly and efficiently in our handy guide below. You can also make your process even easier by working with an e-designer from the Kathy Kuo Home Design Team.
Step 1. Tape It Out Before You Buy
The first step is to make sure the item you’re thinking about works in your space. We highly recommend double checking all measurements from the get-go!
For your convenience, we have published dimensions (height x width x depth) under Specifications on every KKH product page when you shop our site. If you have trouble visualizing the size of the piece in your space, one easy trick is to measure out the width and depth on the floor with masking tape or painter’s tape. You can also place a piece of tape on the wall to get an idea of height.
If you’re measuring a sofa, make sure you also record the diagonal depth, which will determine if the piece can be brought through tighter entryways at an angle (read below for an example).
Step 2. Measure Your Home
The second step is to check that the piece you ordered will fit in all entryways and doors. Here’s a small checklist of measurements to have on hand:
1. Measure the height (A) and width (B) of all doors and hallways. When measuring the door, make sure you’re take the measurement inside the doorframe. You may not have as much space as you originally thought!
2. Measure the clearance length (C) between outside and interior walls.
3. Make Sure Everything Fits Perfectly
Don’t risk damaging your items by pushing through tight halls and doorways. Here are the guidelines to guarantee zero sofa or entertainment center debacles while moving in.
For Sofas, Chairs, and Tables:
1. The width of the doorway (B) must exceed at least one of the following: the piece’s depth (d), diagonal depth (dd), or height (h).
2. If the entryway clearance (C) exceeds the piece’s width (w), then you can move it in horizontally.
3. If the entryway clearance (C) is less than the piece’s width (w), then you will need to move it in vertically, meaning that the entryway height (A) must exceed the piece’s width (w).
WARNING: Here are the circumstances that’ll end in disaster for furniture delivery. Reconsider your options if either holds true, especially for heavy items:
- The piece’s width (w) exceeds both the entryway clearance (C) and height (A).
- If entryway width (B) is less than all three of these measurements: the piece’s depth (d), diagonal depth (dd) and height (h).
1. The width of the entryway (B) must exceed the piece’s depth (d).
2. If the entryway clearance (C) exceeds the piece’s height (h), then you can move it in horizontally.
3. If the entryway clearance (C) is less than the piece’s height (h), then you will need to move it in vertically, meaning that the entryway height (A) must exceed the piece’s height (h).
WARNING: The piece will not fit into your home if the piece’s height (h) exceeds both the entryway clearance (C) and height (A).
Kathy Kuo Home Design Services
Feeling inspired? In addition to being a source for beautiful high quality furnishings and decor, Kathy Kuo Home has a team of professional interior designers that are ready to assist with all of your interior design needs. Our services provide multiple layout and design options that fit your style and budget for any room. You will work with a team of designers and project managers to help you love where you live.
Call (888) 908-3486 or email email@example.com today to get started!
This post contains affiliate links; we may earn a commission for clicks and transactions.