We’re happy to have our very own Kathy Kuo as the special guest on today’s episode of “A Well-Designed Business,” an interior design podcast hosted by LuAnn Nigara. On today’s episode, Kathy shares her experience of starting an interior design focused company, and she highlights how Kathy Kuo Home can help the trade community.
Sign up for a Kathy Kuo Home trade account here. And check out the podcast and an intro by LuAnn below. Enjoy!
An intro from LuAnn Nigara:
Today’s guest is Kathy Kuo, an open, high-energy, talented designer and rockstar businesswoman. You may have seen her amazing Instagram feed or heard of the online boutique she founded, Kathy Kuo Home. She’s also a wife, mother, cook, and world traveler. Born in Taiwan, raised in Boston, and now settled in NYC, Kathy graduated from the Rhode Island School of Interior Design and has traveled to over 30 countries. She recently starred in the FYI Network’s Rowhouse Showdown and her designs have been featured in several lifestyle publications. She’s here to discuss her career, her design firm, and how Kathy Kuo Home can help you!
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- The impetus behind the e-commerce site she founded 10 years ago: it later became Kathy Kuo Home
- How times have changed in the last 2-3 years
- Kathy’s site, and how it is consumer-facing and trade-facing
- Freedom and flexibility with online shopping
- How Kathy’s network functions to meet clients’ needs
- What it’s like working with celebrities
- Great topics on Kathy’s blog: The top three? How to answer awkward questions, How to mix metals, and How to create a design board
- Why your initial contract should include clear intention
- How to deal with a client’s inflamed remarks
- Vendors available at KKH
- E-design: how it works
- Why the presentation has to be significant
- Kathy’s “Get the Look” project collection